What is a Blood Glucose Meter?
To check their blood sugar levels, people use glucometers, which are portable blood glucose meters.
A blood glucose meter is a compact, portable device (also known as the blood glucose level ) that measures the amount of glucose (a form of sugar) in the blood. A blood glucose meter is a common tool used by diabetic people to help them closely monitor and keep a check on their sugar levels from the comfort of their homes.
These are operated by examining a small amount of blood, typically from the tip of your finger. Your skin is softly pricked with a lancet to draw blood. The meter then displays the blood sugar level. However, you must frequently test your blood sugar levels and keep track of them in order to check for any fluctuation.
Continue reading to know more about the workings, usage, and benefits of a blood glucose meter.
How To Use Blood Glucose Meter?
There are various kinds of blood glucose meters available in the market, however, most of them work the same way. Here’s a step-by-step process of how to use a blood glucose meter for accurate results.
- Before you begin, make sure the meter is clean and ready to use.
- Take a test strip out of the container. Close the test strip container tightly right after removing a strip. If test strips come into contact with moisture, they can get damaged.
- Now, use soap and warm water to wash your hands well. Dry them thoroughly.
- To induce bleeding in your finger, massage your hand. Alcohol should not be used since it dries the skin out too much.
- Next, prick your finger with a lancet. Gently squeeze some blood onto the test strip starting at the base of the finger. Now, place the test strip in the meter.
- The reading will display shortly after. Monitor and document your results. Include any information that may have caused the reading to fall beyond the desired range, such as diet, activity, etc.
- Dispose of the lancet and strip it properly in a garbage can. You may follow the disposal instructions available on the packaging.
- Do not share lancets or other blood sugar monitoring supplies with anybody, not even close relatives.
- Test strips should be kept in the provided container. Avoid exposing them to moisture, or very high or very low temperatures.
Benefits Of Using Blood Glucose Meter
Monitoring your blood sugar level is perhaps one of the best ways to comprehend how your diabetes works. An excellent way to understand more about your condition is through routine glucose monitoring.
Keeping a regular check can help you comprehend how different consumables, beverages, medications, and activities affect your diabetes. Regular monitoring can help you and your physician understand your situation and come up with the best possible plan to manage your condition better. Knowing your blood glucose levels will benefit you, your doctor, and the rest of your healthcare team to make crucial choices regarding medication dose, exercise, and food.
Regularly measuring your blood sugar levels will also help you identify when it is too high or too low, both of which can result in symptoms and serious health issues. Needless to say, health scares and emergencies can be conveniently avoided with routine monitoring.
Based on different parameters such as your age, the kind of diabetes you have, your general health, and other variables, your physician will determine the target range for your blood glucose. It's critical to do everything in your power to maintain your blood glucose levels within the desired range. Routine blood sugar level monitoring is strongly advisable in this case.
Blood Glucose Meters vary in size and price. However, a typical pack of meters will include testing strips, lancets, or tiny needles to prick your finger, and a tool to hold the needle. There might be a logbook, a guide, and a manual as well in the kit.
Romsons Romo Check Plus Blood Glucometer is a compact, portable device that comes with an easy one-touch operation and automatic calibration with a code chip. The meter requires only a 1µL sample to get results in 10 seconds. The device can effectively store memory for up to 100 test results. It is specially designed to provide high-quality glucose monitoring at a price that allows you to test as often as necessary.
Invest in a healthier lifestyle by clicking below.